Pierre Louis Institute of Epidemiology and Public Health
Director: Fabrice Carrat
Deputy Director: Dominique Costagliola
Secretary General: Marianne Bailly
The Pierre Louis Institute of Epidemiology and Public Health was created in January 2014 as a unique laboratory gathering all the research forces in Epidemiology and Public Health within Sorbonne Université in order to increase our visibility and attractiveness, to facilitate collaborative works between the teams, and to provide more efficient allocation of administrative or operational staff.
The Institute has been successfully evaluated and renewed in January 2019, and is constituted of 7 INSERM/Sorbonne Université teams and a transversal administrative and computer and information technology teams.
Our common overarching objective is to produce original knowledge on several of the most pressing public health issues and on the effectiveness of related interventions. Our most prominent specificities are to use innovative design and analytical methods to ensure the highest level of evidence for our findings and, where appropriate, our capacity to set up, integrate and exploit massive data from various sources. The Institute is covering the main domains of epidemiology, whether clinical, populational or social, as well as pharmacoepidemiology, biostatistics, statistical and mathematical modelling, clinical research including methodology and clinical trials, relations between environment and health status, social determinants of health, and health care organization. In terms of applications we are dealing mainly with communicable diseases (influenza, HIV infection, viral hepatitis …), nosocomial and emerging infections, with chronic diseases (inflammatory chronic diseases, respiratory, allergic and cardiovascular diseases), with psychiatric disorders and with critical care.The teams are listed below:
- SUMO Pierre-Yves BOËLLE : Communicable Diseases Surveillance and Modelling
- CLEPIVIR Fabrice CARRAT : Clinical epidemiology of chronic viral diseases
- THERAVIR Anne-Geneviève MARCELIN, Christine KATLAMA : Therapeutic strategies for HIV infection and associated viral diseases
- NEMESIS Basile CHAIX : Neighborhood Environments and Mobility: Effects on Social health InequalitieS
- EPAR Isabella ANNESI-MAESANO : Epidemiology of allergic and respiratory diseases
- PEPITES Florence TUBACH : Pharmacoepidemiology and healthcare assessment
- ERES Maria MELCHIOR : Social Epidemiology research team
The Institute also includes a team for administrative support (M. Bailly) and information system (G. Dussaillant,S. Hysenj).